Human growth hormone (HGH) injections are the most effective method for managing the symptoms of low growth hormone levels. In order to receive legal HGH injections, you must get an HGH prescription from your doctor.
The injections can be performed in the medical office, but you can also self-inject daily in the convenience of your home as long as you follow your doctor’s instructions.
HGH must be injected to work properly, and only a correct technique can guarantee the effectiveness of the therapy. Thus, it is important to follow the official instructions on how to administer growth hormone injections instead of the ones you may find on the internet.
The best place to inject HGH is in the fat tissue under the layers of your skin. This type of injection is called subcutaneous and it ensures a great bioavailability for the medication.
Besides, studies report that subcutaneous injections lead to a slower release of HGH in the body compared to other injection methods which more closely resemble a physiological growth hormone secretion. On the other hand, intramuscular injections lead to far too quick absorption.
As evidence suggests, subcutaneous injections are also the easiest to perform at home, without the help of trained professionals. The method allows for a broader range of suitable injection sites, a lower risk of infection, and less pain.
The typical subcutaneous injection sites include:
According to small clinical trials, the abdominal area might lead to the best absorption of HGH compared to other subcutaneous injection sites.
Nevertheless, injection sites need to be rotated frequently, because repeated subcutaneous injection on the same spot can lead to lipoatrophy. This is a localized loss of fat that leads to the formation of a small dent in the skin.
Lipoatrophy is a typical adverse effect for all kinds of subcutaneous injections and it can be completely avoided by rotating injection sites as studies show.
There are different brands of HGH that your doctor may prescribe. They all contain bioidentical human growth hormone but often come in different pharmaceutical forms.
Thus, brands may have different instructions for injecting depending on the exact form of the medication. The optimal HGH dosage can also vary in-between different brands which should be taken into account to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your therapy.
Some GH products come in powder form. They must be mixed and reconstituted with a diluent such as bacteriostatic water to become suitable for injection. Others are prefilled (in liquid form) or even preloaded in an injector pen which makes it easier to use and dose.
As studies suggest, HGH products that come prefilled are equally effective but more convenient for use when compared to those in powder form.
The best injectable HGH brands on the market include Omnitrope, Norditropin, Saizen, Genotropin, and Humatrope and each has official instructions and policies related to its proper use.
Make sure that you understand them before attempting to self-inject and always consult your medical doctor or other healthcare providers if you have any questions or doubts.
Here is a short step-by-step guide that covers the general points on how to prepare for an HGH injection:
1. Let the vial, pen, or pen cartridge stay at room temperature for 30 minutes. The liquid must be clear and colorless. If it is cloudy then discard it.
2. Do not shake, tap forcefully, freeze, heat, or leave the liquid in direct sunlight because the HGH will be inactivated and rendered ineffective.
3. If your HGH product requires reconstitution then you can gently swirl the vial until it dissolves completely.
4. Before reconstitution disinfect the stoppers of both vials, use a larger sterile needle to withdraw the diluent, and direct it at the walls of the HGH vial when mixing.
After you have prepared your injection, you must select an injection site. In order to avoid injecting the medication into the muscle or within the skin layers, it is important to follow the official instructions for administration.
Here is how to administer HGH injection properly and safely:
1. If your HGH required reconstitution, then replace the needle with a smaller one, suitable for subcutaneous injections. Always use sterile needles before injection.
2. Disinfect the injection site and pinch your skin with the fingertips of your non-dominant hand. Take into account that the amount of subcutaneous fat varies between individuals.
3. Use your dominant hand to quickly stick the whole needle into the pinched fold of skin.
4. Stick the needle at a 45° angle for syringes or at 90° if you are using an injector pen.
5. Inject the medication and give it a few seconds before pulling the needle out. Afterward, put only light pressure on the injection spot and do not massage it.
6. Discard the used needle and always use a new sterile needle for the next injection.
However, there are general safety principles that you should always follow when preparing and administering your injections.